Have You Been Retaliated Against at Work?
Employees have a right to be free from discrimination and harassment. They should have a safe workplace and the right to file a workers compensation claim when hurt on the job without comment or pressure from management.
Among many other rights.
Employers cannot punish employees who report violations of these rights – for themselves or fellow employees.
That’s called retaliation. It is illegal.
Retaliation & Protected Actions
Retaliation of any kind is ugly – but only certain employee actions are covered by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Ohio Civil Rights Act. Employees are protected from retaliation if they:
- Asserted their right not to be harassed or discriminated against.
- Stuck up for other employees’ rights.
- Filed an EEO action.
- Reported unsafe working conditions.
- Were a witness for another employee.
- Reported illegal actions by management or employees.
- Took medical leave.
- Filed a workers comp claim.
- Asked the company to accommodate a disability.
This applies to the employee and anyone who helps them.
How to Spot Retaliation
Retaliation can be hard to detect.
There’s almost never one, overt, act. There are, instead, patterns of behavior that emerge over time:
- A worker with less experience is promoted over you.
- You’re demoted.
- After years of good performance reviews, you start to get lower scores despite performing as usual.
- You are inexplicably fired.
- You are harassed by management.
- Your schedule is changed without notice.
- You are transferred to another office much further from your home.
What to Do
If you have experienced any of the above actions, or others just like them, document everything you can. Performance reviews, HR meetings, emails, memos, anything in writing. Make notes after every conversation and call. As you’re doing this, call Hux Law Firm, LLC. You need professional, experienced help.
If you are being retaliated against for doing the right thing, call Hux Law Firm, LLC for a free consultation. Hux Law Firm, LLC has experience in state and federal courts pursuing retaliation actions. Retaliation should never be allowed in the workplace. We can stop it. Retaliation in the workplace is illegal. Don’t take it, Call us.